Tuesday, February 10, 2009

There is a Thin Line Between Admiration and Idoltry

There has been something that has been on my mind for a little while now. it is a well known fact that I have supported President Barack Obama for qutie some time now but there is something that has been bugging me and has given me reason to question some things about ourselves.

I believe that there is a thin line between admiration and idolatry and I think there quite a few people that teeter that line more than they would like to admit. I think what President Obama has done not only for this country alone but the world is amazing, so I am by no means trying to take away from anything he has done or said up to this point. But what I would like for people is to see that they are flirting with that line of idolizing the man like as if he is a prophet. I am sure he himself would agree with that, he is human and breathes the same air that we breathe. So as Obama supporters we should each do our part in making the change that he discussed in his campaign. We shouldn't think the same way we have in the past as far as racial or cultural differences are concerned. With that said i have heard the phrase "My President is Black" used in a derogrotory fashion over the past couple of months. The way we use it as trying to make ourselves more superior than our white counterparts. I feel as if everytime one of us uses that phrase in that sense we take away wha this man has been trying to this very moment. Yes our president is a minority, yes his transcendant journey to the highest office in the world is one of the most intriguing and most encouraging stories in our nations 200 plus year history but to do things that aren't very becoming of us and say its okay becuase our president is black is wack. We need to do better real talk. We need to become more educated on how this world goes because by Barack's victory in november it was let the world know that mionorites are major players now. Those days of blacks being 3/4th of a person is over. But with that we should be more accepting and loving one another so we can be one nation instead of the nation we are still which is mostly divided. We are definitely in a better place today for sure, but we need to carry on the unity that 2.2 million people showed almost a month ago in Washington D.C

Let's do better yall

Ya boi

No comments:

Post a Comment